How To Manage School/College with a Religious Life

by - November 29, 2015

Time management is a skill that, although takes time to develop, is a very crucial in managing our lives. Time is a limited resource, so no matter how we go about our day, there will always only be 24 hours. With time management comes reduced stress, leading to an overall healthier life. As well, time management allows us to accomplish more tasks in shorter periods of time, leaving more time for what's important.

So much of our days are spent doing things that are only benefitting us in this life, and not in the next. Think about your day. What did you get done today? You probably went to school and/or work, maybe spent some time socializing, homework assignments, preparing meals, eating, chores, showering, running errands etc. How much hours of your day is that? 11-12 hours? Maybe even more if you work full time, or attend University with lengthy hours. Then add to that, the time you spend sleeping, which could be either 7-8 hours for some, or 4-5 hours for those that are less lucky. So that leaves maybe 4 hours, which could have been spent watching movies, TV shows, or doing something that will benefit us in the life to come. Basically, what I'm saying is, there's so much stuff to do that occupies our day. But let's not forget our main purpose in life, that has been clearly given to us by Allah, "And I have not created the Jinn and the men but that they may worship Me" [Holy Qur'an Al-Dhariyat Chapter 51: Verse 57]. Keeping this purpose in mind, ask yourself, did I achieve this purpose today?

I'm often asked by friends and family how I remain so calm with assignments and exams as a full time student, house chores, photography bookings, as well as events and Masjid programs to attend. The answer is simple, I don't stress. I don't stress about the exam that I have to do, because I know whether I stress or not, my mark will be the same. All I can do is pray and study to my greatest capacity. I believe that there's no point in isolating myself from my family, social life, religious life, events etc. just to get homework and assignments done. Why would I spend my years in high school and University (8+ years) stuck in my room doing something that's only benefitting me in this world, all while putting my health, family, relationship with Allah and the Jamaat, etc. on the line. This is not to say that I don't spend time in my room studying, but I don't make this a priority. I come home from University and study, but I spend dinner time with my family, and weekends with my family or at the Masjid. 

This is why, I want to shed light on a few habits and management techniques that I like to apply to my life, in order to manage my spiritual as well as University life.



  1. Five Daily Prayers: Allah has given us timings that divide up our day so well. Fajr, (usually around 5AM or 6AM) is a great time to start our day. We can wake up, pray, and start the day by pleasing Allah and praying for a good day. Also, we can get done any homework assignment or task we have yet to do. Did you know that our brain cells are more alert at the break of dawn? Not only do we wake up with a fresh mind, but we also have minimal distractions at this time. Zuhr, is usually around 1:30PM, this being lunch time for students and working men/women, is ideal to pray and eat lunch. Asr, which is usually around 4-5PM is a time that most students and working men/women come home. This allows us to freshen up, and pray before starting homework or other tasks. Maghrib, falls around 6-7PM, which can be the time for us to take a break from studying or other tasks, and perhaps pray, and then eat dinner with the family. Then comes Ishaa at around 8-9PM, which can easily be read before going to sleep. By sleeping at this time, instead of studying till midnight, we can ensure that we wake up for Fajr, as well as get our work done in the morning. This is why, we should create our schedule around these prayers, they allow us to get more done, while accomplishing our purpose in life. 

  2. Monthly Schedule: For the most part, we know the due dates of our assignments, exam dates, and Jamaat event dates far in advance. This is why, having a planner or organizer is a great way to ensure that we have all of these important dates marked down. This way, we can have assignments done in advance, if we know that the assignment date and an event date clash. This is a great way to attend Jamaat events to gain knowledge, yet not fall behind on assignments. 

  3. Time Management: We must remember that most events at Masjid take around 2-3 hours. In these 2-3 hours, we not only get to learn something new, but we can also pray and socialize in order to keep our bond with the community. Now, if we make the excuse of not attending an event because we need this time to study and get other stuff done, we don't have our priorities straight. These 2-3 hours, when we are at home, can easily be spent watching TV or movies, talking to a friend, scrolling through social media etc. but we won't care. So why don't we give up these things that could easily add up to 2-3 hours and not benefit us, instead of the event that would add up to around the same time? Attending the Jamaat events is not only going to bring us closer to the Jamaat and Khilafat, but it will also help us build a stronger relationship with our Creator. So these 2-3 hours will in fact be an investment in the life to come, and not wasted at all.
  4. MSA & AMSA: I remember when I was in highschool, I spent around 6-7 hours there, 5 days a week. I was blessed with a Muslim Students Association (MSA), that had many services offered during school, allowing me to continue building on my spiritual life at school. On Friday's, Jumaah would be offered, and teachers had to grant any student that wanted to go pray, the permission for this short time. I would attend the Jumaah, listen to the Khutba which was very informative, and then not read Jumaah (behind the non-Ahmadi Imam), instead offer Zuhr (and/or Asr prayer). Also, MSA held several fundraising events, allowing me to give back to the community, and this was a great way to earn blessings. Later, in University, I joined the Ahmadiyya Muslim Students Association (AMSA), which is an amazing blessing at University. I not only got to meet many amazing Ahmadis from different Masjids, but now some of my closest friends are Lajna from other cities, which was a blessing when I started University not knowing many people who attended! Also, Jumaah is offered to the Lajna and Khuddam, enabling us to pray it, despite being at University at the time. Also, it has been a great platform for Tabligh, whether this be information tables or the organization of events, it has allowed me to gain so much valuable knowledge and share the teachings of Ahmadiyyat with others. I honestly believe that AMSA has been a blessing for me to keep a strong link with the Jamaat even while being at University. Moreover, the girls that I have met, don't bring me away from the Jamaat. Instead, when we're together, we go and pray together, and keep each other connected to Ahmadiyyat and on the right path. It's groups and opportunities like these that will help us in this life and the life to come.

  5. Prayer Areas: Most schools and universities have an area assigned for praying. I know at my University, there are prayer areas set up in libraries and other buildings, with prayer rugs available at all times for Muslims to go and pray. This has been a blessing for me with my lengthy University hours. It allows me to pray whenever I have time, in between classes, and not miss any of these prayers despite being at school. One thing I've realized is that the peace I get when I pray at school is different than when I pray at home. I'm more focused, and more relaxed. Perhaps this is because I set aside all of my school-related worries momentarily, to worship my Creator. Whereas, at home, it's not always as quiet, and there are many distractions. 

  6. Importance: I can give you many techniques, but the truth is, it all comes down to what we give more importance to. Remember, this life is a droplet, in the ocean that is the Hereafter. When we die, our education and careers won't be of any concern to Allah, instead it will be our prayers, our Tilawat, our good deeds etc. We must realize that, yes, an education and career can be important in a world that revolves around money. However, when we pray and develop a strong bond with Allah, our education and career will be blessed by Allah. As I've grown up, I've realized that my average in school has always been around the same, since the start of high school until now, and when I got closer to Allah, and started spending more time praying and attending/organizing Jamaat events, it reduced the time I was able to give to my education, however, my average didn't go down. Alhamdulillah! Meaning, Allah blessed my education, with marks that I may or may not have deserved.
We must educate ourselves, not to become rich, but to bring ourselves closer to our Creator, and some day educate our children with this education. Sometimes we make our religion a burden on us. Ugh it's time to pray. Another masjid event?! I don't want to wake up for Fajr! But our reactions should not be like this! Our religion shouldn't be a burden on us, if anything, it should help us take lightly, all of our burdens. The world will always have distractions. There will always be other things to do. But when these things come in the way of your prayer timings or Masjid events, ask yourself, will what I'm missing these events for, help me in the Hereafter

I really hope that these habits can be adapted in all of our lives, and we all realize the importance of our religious lives over our educational lives, Ameen! 

As University exams roll around, I pray that all of you do really well, and that your efforts are not wasted, Insha'Allah! I would love any feedback below on what I should improve upon, or what I should continue incorporating in to my blog posts, as well as future blog post ideas! Jazak'Allah!

You May Also Like

2 comments