How to Deal with Criticism When Married Young

by - September 22, 2018

Depending on the culture and beliefs you have grown up with, your view on marrying young can be a positive one or a negative one. I myself, grew up with cousins and friends who married at the age of 20-23 years. Thus, it was a norm in our family, and an expectation in my head.


When my husband and I got married young, our family and friends were excited for us, while those who were not familiar with this concept, became rather concerned. My peers and teachers saw me go from 'Single' to 'Engaged' and then 'Married' in a matter of 7 months, and automatically assumed the worst. For them, I was forced into a relationship with a stranger, and would now have to live as a housewife for the rest of my life, unable to finish my education or begin a career. Despite them knowing full well that I was always passionate about my education and career goals, I believe they felt this way due to the religious/cultural stereotypes they had heard of regarding Muslim girls that marry young. From day one, I felt the need to prove wrong all those who assumed that I had married a stranger, whom I didn't love; I wouldn't finish my undergraduate degree; I wouldn't start a career now; and I would be 'stuck' as a wife for the rest of my life. I'm not saying that you need to try and please the world, or that there's anything wrong with either of this. But I wanted to show these people that all the stereotypes they had heard were false, and that marriage would not make me fall behind in my goals, education, or career. Instead, I could accomplish even more now that I was married, Insha'Allah.

The other day, my friend came across my high school teacher, who asked my friend whether I had any kids yet. I know that if the answer had been 'yes' she would have assumed the worst, despite there being no fault in this, if it were my decision. Similarly, whenever I meet some of these classmates and teachers, and they realize that I graduated, began my career, and have accomplished so much more than many guys and girls my age have, despite being married, they are shocked. But I know full well that much of this was made possible due to the blessings of marriage. Islam has the teaching of getting married young for this reason - because there are so many blessings in it. Especially in today's age, when there is so much sin in the world, marriage is one way to safeguard against it. Although getting married young may not be for everybody, and definitely depends on a lot of variables, I know it was the best decision I could have made.

For anyone else who feels as though they are facing criticism for marrying young, the following are some tips that I believe can help you prove wrong all negative connotations associated with it.

1. The 'Other' Perspective
When you state that you are getting married young, you are automatically seen as crazy. There is this notion that the early 20's are meant to be the experimental years. Apparently, you are meant to 'find yourself', find your passions and hobbies, travel the world, experiment with your relationships and whatever else you wish to do before 'getting tied down in a permanent relationship'. But, if you and your husband are financially able to support yourselves, and have the maturity level that's required in accepting this huge responsibility, what is wrong with marrying young? Why do you have to wait for society to tell you what the 'ideal age' is to get married? Understanding the other perspective is a good first step in standing up for what your beliefs are, and knowing that you can have differences in your views but still respect one another.

2. People Assume the Worst
When you decide to tell the world your plans of marrying young, they automatically assume there's a different reason for this. Either you're pregnant, you're forced, and if it's neither of these, well, then you're altogether making a mistake. But it's important to remind the world that you only wish to marry this man/woman now, because you are excited to spend the rest of your lives together and live with them for the years ahead, Insh'Allah. Why waste more time, when you can start your adventure together NOW?

3. Remind the World that You Are Happy
Similar to my point above, those who look down upon your decision can oftentimes be projecting their own fears. They fear that you'll get a divorce, lose your freedom and live the rest of your life not happy with the man/woman you married. Being confident in your decision, and replying with this confidence is the way to go. Remind them of the many couples who get married young, and do not get a divorce or have a miserable marriage. And those who get married at an older age can also get a divorce or have a unhappy marriage - this is not dependent on age. Showing them that you're doing just well while married can help ease their anxieties and negative perspective on marrying young as well. Tell them of all the things you now get to enjoy with your life partner - travel, milestones, accomplishments, and so much more.

Unfortunately, arranged marriages while young are seen as even worse than relationships that go from dating to marriage. When I  got engaged I was often asked how I met my husband. I would then have to explain how the 'rishta' process goes in Islam. Remind the other person that Islam doesn't want you to get married to a stranger, but it also doesn't want you to marry someone whom you've gotten to know inside and out. Islam wishes for you  to know just as much as is required to know that you will get along with the person who is a potential life partner, and that you both have compatible personalities. It does not require years of dating and daily conversations to get to this level of understanding. The beauty in Islam is that you know your partner well enough upon getting engaged/married to know that you are making the correct decision (Insha'Allah), and then throughout your marriage you get to know each other further. Remind them that an arranged marriage is not the same as a forced marriage - and that forced marriages are not a part of Islam.

In the end, if you know you made the right decision by marrying at an age society deems 'young', don't let others change your mind. Hopefully your marriage sets an example for the world, and dispels the many negative stereotypes associated with marrying young.

You May Also Like

0 comments